Today I got to work on the leg posts. I used 4X4 outdoor treated posts cut to 36 inches.
Once I had all 10 leg posts cut to size I secured the first post into place with a clamp. Then I used my level to make sure it was as straight as can be. I then drilled two pilot holes through the posts and into the base beams with a 3/16 inch drill bit. I switched bits to a 1 inch bit to drill a counter sink hole.
I used 5 inch galvanized lag bolts with washers to attach the posts. I started with my little wratched and socket but spent more time trying to get those bolts in than I would have carving the bar from a single piece of wood. My father saved me by letting me borrow his socket attachment for the drill gun. With that (and a fresh battery on the gun) it took about 5 seconds to get the bolt all the way in.
My bar will have 5 sets of legs all together. As you can see here, between the 2nd and 4th pair I am installing a cross beam. I will eventually use a hole in each cross beam to help support the umbrellas.
Tomorrow I will attach the cross pieces. The rest of this will actually go together really fast. After the cross pieces are the top planks and I am done. Check back soon for more pics.